The Corn Mills in the Glasbury Area
This page is from the Welsh Archives with particular reference to G W Ridyard of the Radnor Society


Boughrood Mill

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 23007
Trust : Clwyd Powys
Site Type : Corn mill
Period : Post-Medieval
Community : Glasbury
NGR : SO131385
Legal Protection :

Description :
Former mill dismantled by 1940. Shown on Tithe Map of 1844. Situated on the banks of the Wye and fed by a 50 yard leat, undershot wheel with diameter of 14 feet. The building was three storeys was built in stone. (Ridyard, G W 1993, 47-9)

Earliest reference to the mill dates to 1771, ceased working in 1910 (Ridyard, G W, 1998).

Sources :
Ridyard, G W , 1993 , Supplementary notes on the watermills of Radnorshire , Melin : 9 : 30-61
Ridyard, G W , 1998 , Radnorshire Water Powered Corn Mills, Pandies, Farm Wheels, Tannery, Bark Mills etc

The keeper of the Boat Inn at Boughrood was also the miller, but by 1895 the miller there was also a coal merchant and not an inn keeper.

Cilcenny Mill

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 35160
Trust : Clwyd Powys
Site Type : Corn mill
Period : Post-Medieval
Community : Glasbury
NGR : SO174415
Legal Protection :

Description :
Corn Mill. Earliest known mention of it was in 1772. Was not working by 1841 (Ridyard, G W, 1998).

Rubble stone blocks and a long narrow hollow (which must have been the pond) are all that remains of this site (Ridyard, G W, 1998a, 25).

Sources :
Ridyard, G W , 1998 , Supplementary notes on the water mills of Radnorshire - part V , Melin : 14 : 15-50
Ridyard, G W , 1998 , Radnorshire Water Powered Corn Mills, Pandies, Farm Wheels, Tannery, Bark Mills etc

Cwm Mill


Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 26230
Trust : Clwyd Powys
Site Type : Corn mill
Period : Post-Medieval
Community : Glasbury
NGR : SO162406
Legal Protection :

Description :
Corn Mill. Earliest known mention of it was in 1820. It is thought to have stopped functioning before 1881 (Ridyard, G W, 1998 and 1998ay).

Sources :
Ridyard, G W , 1998 , Supplementary notes on the water mills of Radnorshire - part V , Melin : 14 : 15-50
Ridyard, G W , 1998 , Radnorshire Water Powered Corn Mills, Pandies, Farm Wheels, Tannery, Bark Mills etc


Cwm Mill as at August 3rd 1888 - Arthur Battiscombe collection

 

 

 

 


Little Mill

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 37390
Trust : Clwyd Powys
Site Type : Corn mill
Period : Post-Medieval
Community : Glasbury
NGR : SO18324098
Legal Protection :

Description :
Corn Mill. Earliest known mention of it was in 1601. It is thought to have stopped functioning at the turn of the century (Ridyard, G W, 1998).

Mill building was 4 storeys high and had been fitted with an overshot wheel. Portions of the water wheel were still present in 1940, but were probably taken for scrap metal in the 2nd WW (Ridyard, G W, 1998a, 21-2).

Sources :
Davies, D S , 1940 , title unknown - Monaughty Mill , The Transactions of the Radnorshire Society : 10 : 33-56 ?
Ridyard, G W , 1998 , Supplementary notes on the water mills of Radnorshire - part V , Melin : 14 : 15-50
Ridyard, G W , 1998 , Radnorshire Water Powered Corn Mills, Pandies, Farm Wheels, Tannery, Bark Mills etc

Llan-Marchell Mill

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 23008
Trust : Clwyd Powys
Site Type : Corn mill
Period : Post-Medieval
Community : Glasbury
NGR : SO139423
Legal Protection :

Description :
Former mill documented in sale details of 1804. Not mentioned in Census returns of 1841 and was probably disused by then. Traces of a leat and pond survive although much damaged together with a small piece of walling (Ridyard, G W 1993, 49-51).

Earliest known record of this mill dates to 1784 (Ridyard, G W, 1998).

Sources :
Ridyard, G W , 1993 , Supplementary notes on the watermills of Radnorshire , Melin : 9 : 30-61
Ridyard, G W , 1998 , Radnorshire Water Powered Corn Mills, Pandies, Farm Wheels, Tannery, Bark Mills etc

Llowes Mill

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 23005
Trust : Clwyd Powys
Site Type : Corn mill
Period : Post-Medieval
Community : Glasbury
NGR : SO1915841710
Legal Protection : listed building II

Description :
Former mill on Garth Brook, a tributary of the R. Wye. Now derelict, only c16 by 14 feet, two storeys with an attic and single storey annexed on the north side. It is covered in ivy and is said to contain its machinery still. The wheel was said to be a "clasp arm" type. Mentioned in 1891 Census. It ceased working at around 1920 (Ridyard, G W 1993, 47, Ridyard, G W, 1997, 61-2).

Earliest known record of mill dates to 1844 (Ridyard, G W, 1998).

NGR formerly SO1921241683. Changed to current NGR after checking Listed Building record and 1st edition OS map (Spencer, J, 2012).

Sources :
Ridyard, G W , 1993 , Supplementary notes on the watermills of Radnorshire ,
Melin : 9 : 30-61
Ridyard, G W , 1997 , Supplementary notes on the watermills of Radnorshire - part IV , Melin : 13 : 55-87
Ridyard, G W , 1998 , Radnorshire Water Powered Corn Mills, Pandies, Farm Wheels, Tannery, Bark Mills etc
Cadw , 2000 , Database of Listed Buildings in Wales
Cadw , 2008 , Database of Listed Buildings in Wales ( © CPAT)