Churches and Chapels in 1904
The parish to which these
Registers belong consisted of the mother parish of Glasbury, in
the County of Radnor, and the hamlets of Tregoyd, Velindre and
Pipton, in the County of Brecon ; the whole forming the township
of Glasbury. To the above must be added the parish of Aberllynfi,
in Breconshire. This was always a separate ecclesiastical, as
it is still a separate civil parish. The church and graveyard
were near Great House Farm in a field, No. 35 Ordnance Map, and
the site of the church is now walled round. The font and altar
monogram I H S were removed to Glasbury Church about 1886. The
living (a Rectory) was in the gift of the family of Williams,
Baronets of Gwernyfed, several of whom are buried in the Church.
It was probably a donative living, and the patron ceasing to appoint
about 1660, and the Church to be repaired, the inhabitants became,
for all ecclesiastical purposes, parishioners of Glasbury.
The old Parish Church of
Glasbury stood on the Stonces, No. 799 Ordnance Map, between the
Rivers Wye and Llynfi, and close to the junction of those rivers.
Some mounds still mark the site. By degrees the Wye washed away
the churchyard exposing the graves, endangered the Church, and
eventually separated it from the Vicarage, which still stands
at the south-west end of Glasybout Common.
In 1660, the Vicar, Alexander Griffiths, a man of notable energy,
who had been ejected under the Commonwealth and reinstated at
the Restoration, began to move in the matter, and in 1662 a new
Church was begun to be built on the present site, and which site
was given by Sir Henry Williams of Gwernyfed. A full account of
the interesting ceremony of dedication is given in Archceologia
Canibrensis, October, 1870.
This Church was dedicated
to St. Peter, 29th June, 1665, but was pulled down 1837-38, and
the present Church built on its site at a cost of about £3,000.
Mr. Vulliamy was the architect. Nothing belonging to the old church
appears in it except a few monuments and the altar rails, which
may date back to the Church on the Stonces.
There were Chapels of Ease at Velindre and Pipton. The former
probably stood close to the Village Green at the junction of the
roads leading from Hay and Glasbury to Velindre respectively.
The field there, No. 262 on Ordnance Map, is still called the
Chapel Field. The latter stood on the left bank of Llynfi immediately
below Pipton Bridge, No. 225 on Ordnance Map, where the foundations
can still be traced. Tradition says that the porch of Velindre
Chapel now stands as the entrance to Gwernyfed Old Hall.
The ancient parish of Glasbury has been
altered as follows :
An Order in Council 28th
December, 1882, created the Ecclesiastical Parish of All Saints',
Glasbury, Radnorshire, consisting of all that part of the parish
that lay in Radnorshire, i.e. on left bank of River Wye, and a
Church was built for this new parish and a Vicarage House for
the old parish in Breconshire. A further Order in Council, 23rd
August, 1883, approved a scheme for apportioning the tithes between
the two parishes.
With regard to the Civil Parish :
An Order of the Local Government
Board, 19th Dec, 1883, amalgamated the hamlet of Glasbury, Breconshire,
(which was that part of the ancient township of Glasbury, which
was left in Breconshire, when the County Boundary was altered
to the River Wye in 1844), with the hamlets of Tregoyd and Velindre,
making them the parish of Tregoyd and Velindre. (v111)
Pipton, though still called
a hamlet, has long been a separate Civil Parish. Therefore, for
Civil purposes, the parish of Glasbury, Breconshire, has ceased
to exist, and the Ecclesiastical Parish of St. Peter's, Glasbury,
Breconshire, now consists of the Civil parishes of Tregoyd and
Velindre, Pipton, and Aberllynfi.
The following are the Nonconformist Chapels
in the parish :
Baptist Chapel with graveyard
at Penyrheol. The Cause here was founded in 1780, when meetings
were held at the Island Farm. The present chapel was erected soon
after 1780, and is endowed with the Island Farm and other funds.
The Baptist Chapel by Glasbury Bridge was
erected in 1866 at a cost of about ;^900, and on a site given
by Mr. Piercy, of London.
The Welsh Presbyterian (Calvinistic Methodist)
Chapel at Velindre was erected in 1862 on a site given by Colonel
Thomas Wood of Gwernyfed.
Maesyronen Congregational Chapel erected
1696. Trust Deed dated 17 14, endowed with Blainey Farm, 38 acres.
Burial Ground attached.
Congregational Chapel on Glasbury Green
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Cwmbach erected
1818 on site given by Mr. R. Hargest, of Skynlas. Burial Ground
: The Registers of Glasbury 1660 - 1836 by Thomas Wood, published